If you are going to dedicate time to write, you want things to blog about that are actually going to yield results. The last thing you want to do is clutter the internet with more puff-pieces that don’t drive traffic back to your website.
Think of blogging in this way: It is like holding a conversation with one of your customers or potential clients. They have questions about construction and are turning to you, the expert, to answer them.
So what questions do your clients have when they interview you for a project?
What questions are you answering repeatedly? What questions do they have before signing a contract or during construction? Those are the questions you need to answer on your blog because those questions are golden.
Why Questions Improve Organic Search Results
We’ve learned over the years that in order to comb through the millions of items to find what we are looking for on the Internet, we need to be specific about what we are searching for. Most people search the internet with “long tail searches” – and a question is one example of a long-tail keyword search.
If you’ve seen the Ask Google Ad, you know just how powerful asking a question truly is.
Here’s are two of my own “Ask Google” examples:
- Since moving to Tucson, I’ve asked Google a lot of questions. The other day, I saw a lizard doing pushups, so instead of searching “lizards,” I asked Google, “Why do lizards do pushups?” and like a cheap magic show matinee, Voila! my answer appeared!
- This blog post “Things to Blog About” is a question I get asked all the time and according to Google Keyword Search is one that others asked Google 720 times last month – which is precisely why I am developing content around this topic.
Questions are the idea generating machine for “things to blog about” and using them as your foundation for developing blog content will yield more organic searches.
Contractors – Things To Blog About
- What are financing options that are available for a kitchen remodel/addition?
- What does design/build mean?
- What are the advantages of design/build over design/bid/build?
- How do you know if a lot “perks” or not?
- What should I look for in a home inspection?
- What are the typical home warranties?
- How long does it take to build a home?
- What’s the cost per square foot to build/remodel a home? (You get asked this annoying question all the time, you might as well answer it!)
- Can you excavate in the winter?
- How much does it cost to finish a basement?
- Can you tell me about refacing cabinets?
- What are the benefits of geothermal heating?
- Should I paint my ceiling the same color as my walls?
- What’s the best lighting option for the master bathroom?
The list of things to blog about are endless when you start thinking in terms of the questions you get asked, and how you can best answer them.
5 thoughts on “Things to Blog About To Improve Organic Search Results”
Great ideas, Tess. You’re the best.
Thanks Bridget! I feel the same way about you!
Thanks for sharing Tess! This will help with my writers block. 🙂
A very belated thanks for reading and commenting, Scott!