If you are looking for a reason to invest in your website, here it is … from a guru that should have known better.
Codie Sanchez “is a reformed journalist, turned institutional investor to now a Managing Director and Partner at Entourage Effect Capital, a private equity firm focused specifically on investing in the legalized cannabis industry. Since its inception in the summer of 2014, EEC has deployed $100+ million into over 65 companies out of its two dedicated funds and co-investments.” (Source: https://www.codiesanchez.com/about)
She has been featured dozens of times in the media (Forbes, Inc., Fox News to name a few), and her weekly newsletter, “Contrarian Thinking” is about actionable cashflow ideas. It has over 100K subscribers. I am one of them because I thoroughly enjoy learning from folks who think outside the box.
Yet, she made a mistake. Here’s her tweet.
NEVER EVER EVER build YOUR business on another’s platform.— Codie Sanchez 💥 (@Codie_Sanchez) June 25, 2021
Our front page of Contrarian Thinking on @SubstackInc
Guess they LOVED what we had to say... 🤷♀️
My prediction: more creators will leave & their biz model won't last.
What went down... pic.twitter.com/fRb8LqPEFD
Most of you have your own website (thank goodness), but are you investing in it? Or are you allowing your website to go stale and become last year’s billboard … like so many in the building industry do?
- When was the last time you reviewed your website? Both for technical and content SEO.
- How does your website rank against competitors?
- How are the most important pages on your site doing? Do you know which pages should be the most important?
- When was the last time you checked your Google Analytics and Google Console? Where is your traffic coming from? What’s the data telling you?
- How are leads? Are you getting a lot of tire kickers or are you getting ideal leads?
- When was the last time you published anything to your site?
- How are your backlinks and internal links? How many links on your site have become 404s (page not found)?
- Does your Contact Us form (and information) still work? Or do these inquiries go unanswered?
- When was the last time you logged into the backside of your website? What do you see? Tons of spam comments and plugins that need to be updated? This neglect makes your website (i.e., your most important piece of digital real estate) vulnerable to hacks and attacks.
If it’s been more than a year since you’ve looked at your website, I highly recommend you invest in a website analysis. It’s not terribly expensive and can reveal issues that are fixable – either by you/your team, or a third party like an experienced SEO content marketer (that’s me!) and your web developer (for the more technical issues).
Remember, your website is a LIVING marketing initiative. You should always be nurturing it.
If you need a website analysis, contact me. I offer this service as a stand-alone product or part of a larger digital marketing assessment.