My Behind-the-Scenes Headline Creation Journey
A moment of complete honesty.
For years, I’ve dreaded writing headlines. The headline is usually the last piece of any content I create, and it is not my favorite thing to write.
But last year, that all changed.
Writing headlines became fun again because CoSchedule introduced their free tool, Headline Analyzer.
In content marketing, headlines are important. There is so much riding on a headline these days.
A good headline will:
- Catch the eye
- Tell a story
- Evoke an emotion
- Compel someone to take action (click, link, share, read, view, respond, sign-up
Headlines carry a heavy load! An entire piece of content can be a hit (or miss) based on how well the headline is received by your audience.
Perhaps now you understand why I dreaded writing headlines.
But recently I’ve focused extra energy on becoming a better headline writer, and I have a few tips to share with you.
- Write your content first. This will give you an accurate direction for the article, as sometimes the topic of the article shifts a bit as you write.
- Spend time on developing a good headline. This is not something this is usually completed in 5 minutes.
- Write 15 or more headlines for one piece of content. Know that some of your headlines are going to really stink. That's okay because within that list will be a gem. More importantly, it will be the start of writing better headlines.
- Use tools like CoSchedule's Headline Analyzer, which will help you become a better headline writer.
- Recognize that over time, writing a good headline will become easier and faster.
Below is an image of some of the versions I went through to come up with this email headline using the CoSchedule Headline Analyzer. I ultimately chose “My Behind-the-Scenes Headline Creation Journey” because I thought it told the most accurate story for this piece of content. Plus, it scored a 72! See that green light?
I encourage you to think of headlines a bit differently – and realize the power they have in your marketing efforts.